An intensive professional development training course on
Building Better Contracts for Future Commercial Agreements
Why Choose this Training Course?
The challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic have been top of company bosses’ agendas for more than 12 months. There have been several false dawns where the world hoped that the worst of the public health crisis was in the past, only for the virus to come sweeping back with greater force.
This Contract Negotiation and Development, During and after Crisis training course examines the challenges of negotiating and developing contracts, right now, during the pandemic. It looks at how we must do things differently in our contract negotiation and development, while at the same time reminding us of the essentials that have not changed.
And it looks ahead – to 2022 and beyond – when we will have become more experienced at managing a COVID-Affected public health environment, and how that ‘new normal’ will impact the vendors, service suppliers and contractors we choose to partner with.
This training course will feature:
- What is different about negotiating contracts using virtual working methods?
- Tools and techniques to facilitate contract drafting when the parties are remote from each other
- How is contractual performance impacted by a pandemic?
- A re-think on risk sharing during a public health crisis
- New approaches to contract making, reflecting the needs for greater collaboration between clients and suppliers
What are the Goals?
By the end of this training course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss how contract making is changing to reflect the Post-COVID world
- Identify contract objectives that they can achieve through negotiation
- Prepare and discuss qualifications to contract drafts prepared by other parties
- Aim higher in the contractual relationships they wish to initiate
- Evaluate the risks that come with any contract, and find ways to manage and mitigate those risks
- Utilise alternative tools to facilitate remote and virtual contract development
Who is this Training Course for?
This training course will benefit all levels of personnel engaged in contract management, negotiation, procurement, operations, and disputes. This training course is suitable to a wide range of contracts professionals but will greatly benefit
- Contract Administrators, Contract Professionals and Project Coordinators
- Supply Officers, Buyers, Purchasing & Procurement Professionals
- Project, Construction, Cost and Quantity Professionals
- Claims Personnel, including Legal Advisers
- Contracts Managers
- Those new to contract negotiation and development, those preparing for a major project or experienced professionals taking a new look at contracts after the COVID crisis
How will this Training Course be Presented?
This training course will utilise a variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension, and retention of the information presented. This will include stimulating presentations supporting each of the topics together with interactive trainer lead discussion sessions. Delegates will be encouraged to raise their own issues and problems faced within their industry or organisations for discussion on a confidential basis. This course will be taught face to face in a classroom setting, or online, using a suitable platform that facilitates interactivity and working together.
The Course Content
Day One: Virtual Negotiation – Getting the Agreement You Want
- The context of commercial agreements
- Negotiating Principles for any contract
- Setting contractual objectives
- The most important negotiable elements
- Negotiating an appropriate balance of commercial risks
- What’s different about remote negotiation?
Day Two: Remote Contract Development
- What constitutes a contract? – the essential document elements
- Form, Ingredients and Basic Structure
- Working electronically with draft Contract documents
- Make things easier using standard forms and model agreements
- Contract qualification – amending the other side’s draft
Day Three: Preparing for the Risks of Non-Performance
- What are the key risks that the pandemic has changed?
- Risk allocation in the contract – what’s the best approach?
- The contractor can’t deliver – what are my remedies?
- Using supply chain strategies to mitigate non-performance
- Contingency planning
Day Four: Competitive and Collaborative Contracting Strategies
- Comparing alternative approaches to working with contractors
- Aligning the contractor’s interests with your own
- Incentivising a partnering approach
- A performance framework built on measuring and managing
- Using Intelligent Client behaviours to maximise the relationship
Day Five: Beyond COVID – How Will Contracts be Different?
- Re-thinking the scope of work
- A new approach to sourcing – who should we contract with?
- Creating sustainable supply chains
- Features of the Post-COVID contract
- Course summary and review